|This product has been discontinued.
It cannot be purchased in retail stores. The only way to obtain it is through second-hand websites and stores.
It is partially modeled after a revolver with its rotating cylinder, and also its priming slide resembles that of an autoloading pistol. It has one tactical rail atop the priming slide, followed by a small sight and also a lanyard attachment point. The Maverick's cylinder advances counter-clockwise (when viewed from the front). The rotating cylinder holds six darts and partially flips out from the left side to reload.
It is possible to dual-wield this blaster as a result of the slide mechanism's built-in attachment point. In the popular "string/lanyard" method, a length of thin rope or similar material is tied to the hole at the end of each blaster's slide. This allows the blasters to be primed by pulling them away from each other, causing the string to pull back on the slides. The string can be looped around the user's body to allow the blasters to still point forward while being reloaded.
There is a different, less popular method of dual-wielding in which the top of the slides are put together and pushed in opposite directions, priming both blasters. The advantage of using this method is that there is no restraint to the user's movement, therefore increasing mobility. The disadvantages to using this method are that it takes more practice, and it results in slower action in the act of priming the blaster.
A far less common but possibly more practical method is to pull the slide back with the fingers of the hand holding that blaster. Whilst this requires far more practice than the above, it means that the blasters can be cocked individually, allowing for one to be fired whilst the other is being cocked, giving a more consistent rate of fire if alternating each hand between firing and cocking.
Some users prefer to hold the Maverick with their left hand. This allows one to reload quicker, as the index finger can be used to press the button that makes the cylinder swing out. However, because the cylinder swings out to the left, left handed users may have to go cross armed to reload, making the reload process more awkward.
The Maverick was previously known as the Prototype IX-6 in its first appearance in the Unity Power System DVD. The true identity of the blaster was revealed in November 2004 when a Hasbro engineer posted information about the at-the-time unreleased blaster.
The Maverick was given an official release in March 2005 although some had discovered the blaster on shelves just after Christmas 2004. It is unknown why the blaster had an early release. By February 2005 it had been spotted in several major stores around the United States.
In September 2011 the Maverick REV-6 was spotted in a two-pack exclusive to Walmart.
In 2012, it was named the 2011 Boy's Toy of the Year in the United Kingdom by the Toy Retailers Association and the British Toy & Hobby Association.
The Maverick has a direct successor called the Strongarm, which was released in 2013 under the N-Strike Elite series. Despite this, in 2014 another color scheme of the Maverick was discovered. This variation is one of many Elite Repaints and performance is unchanged from the original N-Strike variant.
The Maverick has been released with the following color schemes:
- N-Strike (yellow, black, gray, and orange)
- Original/Midnight (blue, black, gray, and orange)
- Clear Series (clear plastic and orange)
- Sonic Series (clear green and orange)
- Gear Up (orange, black, and gray)
- Whiteout Series (white, black, gray, and orange)
- Elite Repaint (white, orange, black, and gray)
The Maverick is a popular candidate for modification due to its simplicity and low price. One simple modification allows the cylinder to fully flip out and rotate 360 degrees for easier reloading (known as a "full barrel drop" or a "Russian Roulette mod"). Removal of the air restrictors allows for higher firing power and the ability for different types of darts to fit better without jamming. It is also possible to remove the cover from the cylinder on some versions of the blaster, thus decreasing the weight of the cylinder, and making it rotate more reliably. This modification is not possible on older versions. In addition, some Nerfers choose to buy a second Maverick, make the rotating cylinder come out completely, and reload the blaster using the second Maverick's cylinder. Some modders combine three barrels together, so that they simply turn the barrels until the next one is in. Possibly in response, Nerf has made two stock blasters called the FlipFury and the Doominator which are conceptually similar, the Flipfury has two barrels, and the Doominator has four, but it is slightly different in design.
Despite many modification possibilities, the range on a Maverick is very difficult to increase due to its reverse plunger system. It is possible though, to bring the range up to 70 feet, by replacing and/or lubricating the o-ring.
Exclusive to Walmart and K-Mart is a Maverick REV-6 2-Pack, with twenty-four Sonic Micro Darts (under the Whistler Dart refill label). The Maverick also has a Double Your Darts and a similar "Refill and Reload" value pack that comes packaged with twelve darts instead of six.
Reloading and firing
To reload the Maverick, the user must first drop the cylinder by pushing the cylinder's button located on the left side of the blaster. When the cylinder is down, the user can place up to three darts in the barrels at a time, a total of six darts are loaded into the barrels. The cylinder must be pushed back up into the blaster's shell; alternately, users can flip the cylinder up and into place with a quick flick of the wrist. To prime the blaster, the user must pull slide back and let it return to its original position.
Pull the trigger to fire a dart.
- The Maverick is featured as a weapon in the Nerf N-Strike video game series.
- The original blue version of the Maverick is noticeably more powerful than the newer yellow ones, primarily because of a better O-ring. Even if one modifies a yellow Maverick by removing its air restrictors, the blue Maverick is still more powerful.
- Hasbro modeled its Transformers Classics Megatron toy off of the Maverick. Hasbro later modeled the Avengers Captain America Brigade Blaster after the Maverick as well.
- The word "maverick" is used to describe someone who shows independence in thoughts or actions. This may be akin to the revolver-style design of the Maverick, a popular weapon choice for renegades and lone gunman style characters in media.
- The Maverick is one of few N-Strike blasters where the screws and warnings can be seen when the barrel end is on the right of the blaster, rather than when the barrel end faces the left, like on most recent Nerf blasters.
- The Maverick is one of the most commonly seen N-Strike blasters to be dual-wielded.
- On the side of the Nerf N-Strike Double Blast Bundle , it the blaster is erroneously titled the Maverick REV-5.
- It is not recommended to spin this blaster, as accidentally pressing the trigger while spinning will cause the drum to rotate.
- The Buzz Bee Tek 5 bears a resemblance to the Maverick.
- Many people consider the Maverick to be Nerf's signature blaster.
- The Maverick can still fire with the cylinder swung open. This can damage the blaster, as the cylinder houses the air restrictors, and thus, a lack of cylinder means a lack of an air cushion for the plunger head.
|The full image gallery for Maverick REV-6 may be viewed at Maverick REV-6/Gallery.|
- ↑ Nerf HQ: Nerf Retailer Inventories. NerfHQ.com
- ↑ NerfHaven: N-strike Maverick. NerfHaven.com
- ↑ NerfHaven: Check This Out.. NerfHaven.com
- ↑ NerfHaven: Why Are Maverics So Rare?. NerfHaven.com
- ↑ Nerf Mods & Reviews: Twin Pack Mavs, get your duel wield on. NerfModsReviews.com
- ↑ Basic Nerf: N-Strike Maverick REV-6 Makes an Appearance, Sports Elite Colors. BasicNerf.com
|AccuStrike Series||AlphaHawk • Quadrant|
|Doomlands 2169||Negotiator • Lawbringer|
|N-Strike||Firefly REV-8 • Maverick REV-6 • Spectre REV-5|
|N-Strike Elite||Disruptor • Spectre REV-5 • Strongarm (Elite XD)|
|Rebelle||Five By Five • Sweet Destiny • Sweet Revenge|
|Zombie Strike||Doominator • FlipFury • Hammershot|
|Electronic||Barricade RV-10 • Stockade (Elite XD)|
|Other||Captain Phasma Blaster • CycloneShock • Longarm • Spylight|